Hello Everyone! It has been a long time coming, but I am officially back! I apologize for the rather excessive blogging hiatus, but between MCAT studying and a full class load, I didn’t have too much free time this fall/winter for fun things like this. Hopefully you didn’t miss me too much! That said, I did make some pretty delicious things to consume while I studied, including quite the line-up of hot chocolate varieties (ask anyone who follows me on Snapchat: they know 😉)! And, now that the MCAT is finally completed, I have at least a little more time and a few more brain cells to think about food (wahoo!)!
I also have a bit more time right now, because this is officially my first semester of college EVER with no 8 ams and no labs! Or rather, no lab classes – I’m still in the lab multiple times most days to work on my senior project. But while we’re not too far into it yet, I’m already really enjoying this semester of the true liberal arts experience, including my two “just-for fun” classes: a Spanish workshop class and a sociology class on wealth and poverty.
Anyways, I hope your years and semesters having been starting off as well as mine! Today I’m going to share with you two excellent biscotti recipes I discovered over break! One I cannot claim – I found it on Allrecipes and it is absolutely FANTASTIC! The other I adapted from a couple of recipes, but both I highly recommend you trying yourself!
I’ve always sort of wanted to try making biscotti, and now that I have, I really don’t know why I didn’t start sooner! It’s really incredibly easy, not too time-consuming, and so far for me has turned out cute and delicious! And, of course, biscotti makes the perfect pairing with a good cup of hot chocolate (or tea or a latte, if you prefer that).
The Pistachio Almond BiscottiRecipe can be found here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10638/cranberry-pistachio-biscotti/ So delicious and cute! I’ve also made it with cherries instead of cranberries, and that was just as good – so feel free to be creative with it!
The Pistachio Cardamom Biscotti Recipe can be found below. I’m personally a big fan of cardamom, and these biscotti were a real treat.
I hope you all enjoy these, and I also hope this post empowers you to go out and look up or make up your own biscotti recipes! The possibilities are truly endless. Happy Monday everyone!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground green cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted, shelled, chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 300ºF
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Add the vanilla extract and cardamom, and beat in the eggs.
- Gradually add flour mixture into egg mixture. Mix in pistachios.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into two equal halves. Form two logs of about 12×2 inches.
- Bake logs for 35 minutes, or until they’re light brown.
- Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes, and reduce oven heat to 275ºF.
- Cut logs on the diagonal into slices about 3/4 inches thick. Lay slices on sides on the parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until dry.
- Allow slices to cool, and enjoy! (Tea, coffee, or hot chocolate recommended as pairings!)